We’re talking playmats here today. I’ve heard mixed reviews from parents about whether or not they are really an essential. This quite honestly surprises me. As a mother of 3 children our playmat was, and still very much is an absolute essential for our home. – My children are now 7, 5 and 2.
Here’s just 3 reasons why I consider a playmat an essential:
- The children and I spend a lot of time on the floor – so it should be comfortable
- As babies, wobbly experimental toddlers and budding gymnast big kids it cushions them from any bumps and falls
- They wipe clean! No costly professional carpet maintenance required, and no dangers of spills ruining expensive carpets!
It really really does matter which playmat you buy and I cannot stress this part enough.
Cheap (and not so cheap) foam piece together playmats (no matter how pretty they are) will not last. Trust me, I tried them all and they were more fuss and hassle than benefit.
Here are what I consider to be the downsides to the piece together foam playmats:
- Cleaning them – pulling them apart, putting them together. It’s long winded and you’ll definitely still find your baby eating week old raisins they found in the one crevice you missed!
- EVA Foam playmats mark very easily and the marks do not clean well.
- Some are wipe clean. These ones have a sticky cover on the top that peels. When your littles find that loose corner – you’re doomed! They’ll pick, pull and rip at it…..
- They will need to be replaced regularly because of all of the above.
Having experienced all of the above I have scoured the globe to bring you (and myself) the pinnacle of playmats – Totter + Tumble.
The one piece reversible playmat simply wipes clean and is designed to discreetly fit in your home – they’re made to look just like a rug!
They’re a lovely 1.3cm thick (140x210cm) and memory foam so super supportive and safe for even the littlest of littles.
Designed by a lovely British Mama of 2, they’re made in South Korea and tested independently to the highest of safety standards – in fact they are as safe as a teether toy!
Totter + Tumble aren’t the cheapest out there but they are definitely the best.
Taken care of in line with their care guide a Totter + Tumble playmat will very easily last 5+ years. Cost per use, you’ll not find better value for money!
Apologies in advance – there are 8 gorgeous designs to choose from and picking just 1 is a tough task!